VEGAMOUR is a rapidly growing hair wellness company that combines sustainably harvested, plant-based actives with the latest advances in molecular science to produce clean formulas that effectively promote hair & scalp health. We believe in biodiversity, community, Fair Trade and corporate responsibility. Our mission is to advocate the use of thoughtfully sourced, organic plant actives in creating superior wellness & beauty products that neither harm the people who use them or the planet we all share.
The Executive Director, Product Development will work hand in hand with the CEO, with our Panel of experts, and the heads of Hair care and wellness businesses to concept, create, produce and launch Vegamour-branded hair and wellness products. They will support the strategic development of the hair wellness category topical and ingestible formulations. This position is well-suited for a passionate individual driven by science, research and innovation looking to disrupt the hair wellness industry.
This role requires developed awareness of scientific literature, raw material technology, processing methodology, claims and marketing/consumer trends required to perform innovative product development assignments in an efficient manner. The ideal candidate must have effective communications skills to engage key stakeholders (CEO/ Founder, Marketing, Operations, and Vendors) and be highly organized with the ability to manage complexity, set priorities and meet deadlines.
This position will report to the VP of Operations and work closely with our CEO/ Founder.
- Partner with business leaders to create and maintain a 3-year vision and launch plan for beauty and wellness own-branded products
- Ideate innovative and differentiated product concepts that align with Vegamour brand positioning, and deliver scalability and cost efficiency.
- Provide toxicological, safety, and regulatory oversight of formulations in partnership with cross-functional teams and external resources.
- Effectively develop clinical and perception evaluation of products to ensure efficacy, Collaborate with legal counter-parts to ensure truthfulness and accuracy of product claims.
- Partner with business leaders to ensure thoughtful integration of claims and marketing story into development of new products; ensure inclusion in formulas of active ingredients that will support planned marketing story.
- Build and manage a product development team and budget to support the development and launch of 20 – 30 beauty and wellness projects per year
- Lead and own development of 3 year innovation pipeline
- Ownership of relationships with external formulation houses
Oversee product development of beauty & wellness projects from inception to launch:
- Creation of product development briefs
- Selection of development and manufacturing partners
- Selection of components; Effectively and technically liaise among Vegamour team and formulation or lab partners
- Ingredient, performance and benchmarking information and feedback
- Safety, efficacy, and performance testing
Ensure new product compliance with international and domestic regulations, as well as Vegamour standards, including but not limited to:
- Ingredient standards
- Manufacturing qualification and continuous improvement
- Safety and testing
- Accuracy and verification of all product claims
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to reach, end, stoop, and frequently lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to work in a standing and/or walking position for long periods of time
- Must be able to use fingers, hands, and arms at computer for long periods of time, and in styling wigs to test product.
- Must have ability to speak clearly and distinctly, and hear and be heard and understood in person and by telephone.
- Must be able to work in a standing and/or walking position for long periods of time.
- Must be able to drive long distances (vendor locations, onsite meetings, etc.)
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree; Graduate degree (MBA or related) a plus
- 12-15 years’ experience in Product Development in beauty, personal care, or wellness
- Extremely comfortable in Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related science field is required. Master’s preferred.
- Required 5+ years successfully managing product development in the wellness industry with a focus in formulation and/or creation of hair care products. Preference for someone with experience in personal care development and commercialization.
- Strong understanding of quality and safety certifications and corresponding formulation requirements, including EWG verification.
- Strong knowledge of ingredient efficacy, liquids, semi-solids, supplements, formulation, analytical chemistry, supply chain, cGMP, regulatory affairs, clinical development, consumer insights, category management, patent process, and project management, business processes (Stage-Gate)
- Experience working at an innovative, fast-paced startups or indie/digital brands within the clean/ wellness sector is a plus
- Passionate about science and innovation with the ability to apply evidence-based differentiation to product development
- Empowered, resourceful, proactive leader able to set priorities, manage complexity and communicate effectively and is capable of meeting deadlines
- Research-focused individual who can translate studies into products and lead efficacy and clinical testing programs
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic, high integrity, and commitment to excellence
- Proven track record of successfully bringing cutting edge innovation to market in the beauty industry
- Demonstrable track record of leading and building high performing teams